Friday, August 7, 2009

Catch 22

Commitment scares me. It's not the idea of never being romantically or sexually involved with another person besides your partner that terrifies me - it's the fact that there really is no security or guarantee. When you put yourself out there on that tree branch who's to say that your partner will stay faithful or hell, that you yourself will remain faithful. I'm scared shitless. I don't want to be the girl that cheats on her boyfriend nor the girl that gets cheated on. I like my independence. I like knowing that if I'm alone, there's no chance of me getting hurt or getting my heart broken. But at the same time, the catch is that with that solitude I won't be able to discover my better half, my soul mate, my love. So many books and songs preach that it is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all but have those people ever walked in on their partner engaged in sexual intercourse with their own cousin? Witness that, manage to keep the same "keep on keepin' on" attitude and then I'll listen to your ramblings more earnestly. I suppose this whole entry has to deal with inner guilt and insecurities and whatnot, but because I'm not laying on a couch and Freud isn't around to psychoanalyze me and blame my mother for my inability to trust then we'll call it a night.

2 comments:

  1. Damn Sam,

    I am assuming you are a girl by your twitter page I stumbled upon. I am a guy, and I have never met a woman that share these same feelings. I guess it's my own ignorance because I am selfish. I am struggling right now in my own relationship with a woman and I feel so torn. On one hand I love her, with my all and on the other I feel that I am poison to her soul. I feel that because she loves me so much that she compromises her own independence, her own being. I am tired of coming short of her expectations and also of having to compromise myself as a person. I guess I feel like you do on this subject like you do on your post after this one. Anyway thanks for writing, I could read your stuff all day, its raw and real and on the spot. Follow me on twitter: animalyosh and if you want my blog yoshcaceres.blogspot.com

    Take it easy!
    Yosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I'm just now getting back to your comment, I never expect people to read this (not sure how to explain the logic behind that but whatever) but I do appreciate your thoughts and input. I hope everything's working out for you, and I'm finding you on twitter as I type this.

    ReplyDelete