Tuesday, January 19, 2010

We dance to remember to forget

I know that the entire world is obsessed with Lady Gaga, and although I don't follow her movements and fashion eccentricities like the rag tabloids and other pop culture fanatics do, I am truly a fan. I think that that the reason I am such a big fan of hers is not because of how loony she is, nor how provocative her lyrics and ensemble are. No, my fan basis lies in in her ability to take completely normal scenarios that almost everyone experiences in a lifetime - and tweaks it, adds a melody, and creates a hit. And no, this blog entry is not completely dedicated to Lady Gaga, I do have a point that I will eventually come across, so indulge me with this lengthy introduction and subtle transition. There is an art behind taking normal scenarios, whether pleasant or otherwise, and making something from them that the entire world can relate to. Lady Gaga just happened to be a favorite artist of mine, and creator to some of the most recent and popular examples. Love Games, Poker face, Bad Romance, and Telephone are just examples - men/women experiencing some sort of romantic turbulence, wanting to either escape by carnal means or mend said relationship....and allowing the rest of us live/dance vicariously through their misfortunes. There's something that keeps coming to mind when I find myself dancing (yes, I'm guilty of it, too) to songs of this nature; a lyric from "Hotel California" by the Eagles - "Some dance to remember, some dance to forget." Is that what we do when we dance to these songs? We relive the experiences and by doing so, find some sort of closure? How many of those scantly clad girls dancing to the rhythmic beat can relate to the lyrics depicting heartbreak/steamy sex/more often than naught regret? 'How the Hell did you pull that random thought out of your ass, Sam?' you may ask, and the answer is that I found myself thinking about one of my exes when Bad Romance came on the radio. Not immediately, mind you, but mid-thought I caught myself, and being the weird person that I am, began to reflect on my thought process as well as the lyrics that I was rhythmically dancing to in my car (don't judge me). And then I began to wonder if the other fans out there had experienced, at one time or another, the same heavy heart and regret that I feel? Ask yourself next time you find yourself dancing to a song and let me know - I'm curious as to whether you dance to remember, to forget, or something else entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment